President's House: Interior
Most of the original furniture made or ordered for the house by Chicago's Watson & Boaler Co. is still in use today. Established in 1916, Watson & Boaler maintained a custom furniture shop until 1954; its metal nameplates signifying custom work are found on numerous pieces in the President's house.
One of the most notable original furniture items is the formal mahogany dining room suite with twelve Chippendale chairs. In 1986-87, twenty-four volunteer stitchers created new needlepoint seat covers for the dining room chairs and twelve companion chairs used throughout the house. These Illini Stitchers worked intricate patterns featuring woodland and prairie wildflowers, birds and insects native to Illinois.