Inside the President's House
"...a suitable President's House should be provided...adequate for the probable needs and duties of the President of the University."
This simple decree in 1928 by the Board of Trustees set into motion the construction of a permanent residence for the leader of the state's premier public university, the University of Illinois.
The 14,000-square-foot Georgian Revival home is both a residence for the president and family as well as a receiving point for visiting dignitaries, alumni, community groups and supporters. It was designed by University of Illinois architect James M. White and New York architect Charles A. Platt. Completed in 1931 at a cost of nearly $225,000, the current President's House has served as the official residence for the head of the University of Illinois, beginning with President Harry Woodburn Chase.