About the University
The University of Illinois is the state's best and most comprehensive public university. The three distinct campuses in Urbana-Champaign, Chicago and Springfield serve the people of Illinois through a shared commitment to our missions of excellence in teaching, research, public service and economic development. Online classes offered by the three campuses expand educational opportunities for residents of the state of Illinois and beyond.
Our campuses attract the nation's most talented students with hundreds of undergraduate, graduate and professional programs, many of them ranked among the best in the United States. We are also the state's largest educator. More than 77,000 students are enrolled at our campuses and thousands more take classes off campus and online.
The University of Illinois is a world leader in research and discovery. Our internationally renowned faculty win more federal research dollars than all other public Illinois universities and colleges combined, resulting in priceless new knowledge and life-changing breakthroughs in medicine, agriculture and technology.
We are a university that belongs to the people of Illinois. Our faculty, staff and students share their knowledge and expertise and the resources of the University with citizens in every corner of the state through more than 700 public service and outreach programs.
The University also has an impressive impact on the state's economy. The University of Illinois produces more than $13 billion in direct and indirect economic impact on the state, including the creation of more than 150,000 jobs. For every dollar the state spends on the University, the University generates more than $17 into the Illinois economy. And the increased earning power of hundreds of thousands of alumni living in Illinois results in additional tax revenue for our state.
Fast Facts 2013
- Students enrolled on our three campuses: 77,443
- Degrees awarded in 2011-2012: 20,372
- Faculty (FTE): 5,771
- Administrative and professional staff (FTE): 7,197
- Support staff (FTE): 9,932
- Graduate assistants (headcount): 9,415
- Living alumni / Alumni Association members: 637,073
(all alumni are members of UIAA)
- Operating budget in 2012-2013: $5.42 billion (Includes$793.3 million in payments on behalf, such as retirements contributions and $34.1 million for Academic Facilities Maintenance Fund Assessment).
- Separately funded research in 2011-2012: $789.5 million
- Student organizations: 1,421
- Physical plant: The University has more than 800 buildings with a replacement cost of $8.9 billion. The three campuses encompass 2,443 acres, with additional holdings totaling 10,520 acres.